I decided not to do the Phillies the following week but from what I hear, I didn't miss much. Fellow graphers were saying it wasn't good at the hotel and no one really signed. Im glad I didnt go because I'd be pretty pissed off getting shut down a second time back-to-back.
This past week, the Braves were in town for their one and only visit to ATT park. I knew Craig Kimbrel was going to sign so I took the trip up there even if I got nothing else. Craigs very friendly towards the fans/graphers so he'll stand there and sign everything and take pictures if you ask him to. I decided to drive into downtown SF rather than taking BART like I normally do. The Braves usually stay at the Parc 55 so I knew there would be metered parking spaces available. I arrived at about 930am and only one other grapher was there. It was quite a small group this time because the other graphers were trying to graph the Spurs who were in town for the NBA playoffs. Since I would be standing outside close to my car, I decide not to pay the meter because they charge an arm and a leg for an hour of parking. Nothing really happened the first couple of hours. BJ Upton came out and 3 of us chased after him (myself included) for an autograph. He said no and continued walking towards the Tenderloin. I normally don't chase after players but I heard BJ signed the previous day and he's notorious for not signing. A few minuets later, parking enforcement pulled up and was about to issue me a ticket but I made some dumb excuse and moved my car. I drove down to ATT park and tried my luck there. As I was finding parking, I saw BJ getting out of a cab and posing for pictures with a few kids who were waiting there. I think I could have gotten BJ had I arrived a little sooner. Craig Kimbrel arrived at the ball park around 1oclock and signed for the 5 of us who were waiting there. He was nice enough to put "NL ROY 11" as requested. About half an hour later, Brian McCann arrived and signed as well.
| Craig Kimbrel-NL ROY 2011 Inscription |
| Brian McCann |
Graphing at ATT park has become increasingly difficult due to the two world series win the past three years. They have shut it down and will not allow you to pass a certain point to ask for autographs. When I first started graphing, they would allow us to stand behind an enclosed area right next to the dugout store. We would wait here and visiting players would make their way into the ballpark thru this entrance and sign. Now, they wont allow you to stand there but make you stand about 50 feet away. This makes it difficult because taxis would drop the players off right in front of the dugout store so asking for autographs is nearly impossible unless the players call you over. Even then, it gets sketchy because a ballpark employee on a power trip would kick you off their property and make you stand across the street. I guess after winning two world series, you own the sidewalk.
No comments:
Post a Comment