Thursday, April 18, 2013




I decided to go up to San Francisco to graph the Detroit Tigers last Friday, April 12, 2013 with one particular graph in mind-Miguel Cabrera. I got into the city around 10:00am and walked to the Parc 55 hotel where the Tigers stayed during 2012 season. I got there but didn't see any of the usual group of graphers so I knew something was up. I decided to walk around to the big name hotels and see if I can spot any familiar faces. It didn't take long for me to find the group of usual graphers standing in front of Union Square so I knew I was in the right place. Right when I got to the hotel, I saw Jim Leyland walking back. I asked if he can sign but was rejected. Jim said he doesn't sign at the hotel. According to some of the seasoned graphers out there, this was unusual of Jim because he typically signs at hotels. I guess you have to change things up when you are the heavy favorites to win the World Series but end up getting swept. Shortly afterwards, Jhonny Peralta came out and signed for everyone waiting. He didn't talk much but was really nice about signing because he signed and posed for pictures upon returning from shopping in downtown. A few of the graphers spotted Justin Verlander walking to a nearby restaurant. A handful of them decided to wait by the restaurant hoping he would sign when he leaves. I decided to stay knowing Justin's signing habits (he doesn't sign at hotels) and wait for the triple crown winner. Around 1:30pm, a bus pulled up to the back of the hotel to pick up the first wave of players, coaches and media personnel. Within a few minuets, Miguel Cabrera emerged and signed for the group of ~15 people who were waiting. Unfortunately for me, Miguel signed my ball using a black ball point pen that he used to sign a ball previous to mine. If you're new to graphing, it is strongly suggested you use a BLUE BALL POINT PEN when graphing baseballs. This prevents autograph from bleeding into the ball and/or fading over time. After getting Miguel's autograph, I stuck around for a little longer hoping to get Prince Fielder, Torii Hunter and Alex Avila. No one spotted any of those players and by 4:00pm, I decided to call it a day and headed home. I want to thank Jhonny Peralta and Miguel Cabrera for taking the time to sign today. Thanks for reading!

Jhonny Peralta
Miguel Cabrera


No comments:

Post a Comment