Friday, April 26, 2013


It's been a difficult week as far as graphing goes. I went out twice this week, first to graph the Diamondbacks on Tuesday 4/23/2013 and again to graph the Orioles on 4/25/2013. My goals for the Diamondbacks were to get Paul Goldschmidt, Cody Ross (I have some 2010 WorldSeries stuff for Ross), Don Baylor and Matt Williams. I completely missed Cody Ross because he went out a different exit but heard from a nice lady at the ballpark who got him as he was walking up on her 2010 WorldSeries bat-she was the only person who was there to get him. Don Baylor said no while Matt Williams signed for three people before getting into a cab. I was informed by fellow graphers that Paul Goldschimdt took a cab on Monday so I stayed in front where people go to hail cabs. At around 12:45pm, the bus pulled up and as luck would have it, Paul took the bus on the day I was waiting for him by the cab pickup/drop off. He only signed for the one person who was the first person to get on the team bus and only one grapher was there by the bus stop. I didn't get anyone I was really after but I did spot Eric Hinske and asked him to sign a used official MLB ball for me-thanks Eric!

Eric Hinske


Today, I went up to the City to graph the Orioles with the intentions of graphing Adam Jones, Manny Machado, Matt Wieters, JJ Hardy and Chris Davis. The Orioles didn't stay at the usual hotel all the other teams have been staying but went to the Parc 55 instead. This is a difficult hotel because not only are there multiple exits, the staff at the hotel will not allow graphers to stand on the side walk right outside the main entrance. I don't understand how the hotel staff have the authority to police that as the sidewalk is not hotel property. Anyways, this made it extremely difficult to graph anyone. I saw maybe 6 players the entire day. I was helping a fellow grapher with his Heritage set but the two players I saw, Chris Tillman and Tommy Hunter turned us down. Around 1:45pm, a towncar pulled up to the main entrance and Manny Machado rushed from the lobby into the car. He didn't acknowledge anyone (diva in the making. guy has one year in the bigs and thinks he's Albert Pujols). I wasn't able to get any of the autographs I intended to get but was able to get the Orioles Hall of Fame pitcher/announcer, Jim Palmer. Mr. Palmer had breakfast at the Puccini & Pinetti restaurant and signed on his way out. He was very approachable and made small talk with the small group of graphers that showed up for the Orioles at this shitty hotel. He was kind enough to put the HOF '90 inscription without being asked. Thank you, Mr. Palmer. 

Jim Palmer-HOF '90 Inscription


Graphing is 95% luck and 5% skills. It takes some skills to be able to recognize players in street clothes and sometimes from blocks away. You always have to have your guards up and pay attention to your surroundings-whos out and about, whos yet to come out, where the town cars are, taxis, team buses, etc. The other 95% is just being at the right place at the right time. This past week, I wasn;t able to get any of the players I intended to get but was able to salvage the trip with a rookie of the year and a hall of famer. Maybe my luck will turn around next week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment